A little background about our neighbor two doors down is needed before we start on me wondering about the sanity of my husband. Let's call him Mr. T. Mr. T lives on the short end of our L shaped building with us being closer to the corner and him on the very end. I noticed him right away, and first just thought of him as an awkward young 20 something kid. He would wear blue camo pants with a navy hat, and I just had to roll my eyes at the wanna be navy boy. As time went on living here we noticed interesting behavior from him. He would just sit out in the walk way smoking his pipe (tobacco) and watching. He would also go for walks through the brush in the park in our backyard all through the night. He would constantly be working to fortify his metal screen front door. This door didn't have a doorknob, only a deadbolt on it. (This will be an important component later in the story.) He would go and "collect" things from who knows where or why. Things like bricks, shopping carts, and big plastic drums. People would stop by after dark and were not the same people, always changing. He got in an argument with another tenant, while some others were in the pool, and crazy enough everyone who was involved had their tires slashed the next morning.
I just would get the creeps from this guy. I didn't like him knowing if I was leaving home, or even home alone. It got bad to the point where if left and if he was outside when I left I would turn around and go back in until he was gone. We also got a security system for our storage unit, and our apartment. (SOMEONE wink wink broke into a few storage units around this time.)I also purchased pepper spray. I was not joking around with this feeling. Cash also didn't like this kid or maybe just felt it from me. When we would run into him outside Cash would not go up and say hi, but would want to just turn away from him and go the other way.
Mr. T was also responsible for demolishing the stairway in front of our apartment. He went up to the top level to fight with another tenant (same as before). He took a blow torch to their door and water. Don't ask me, I don't know why. Anyway the guy from up stairs chased him back down the very unkept stairs and both of their weight running down brought the stairs down. During this event he would not let the cops into his apartment due to the fact that this was a domestic dispute. The cops seemed to be tiptoeing around this guy and we couldn't figure out why. Later we learned that he was currently in a lawsuit with the fire department for "breaking and entering". Really what happened was they were trying to stop water from running down from his apartment into the tenants place below him. So they couldn't get through the door either, and decided to climb up his balcony to try and turn off the water. When they came into the unlocked slider, he was filming them with his phone. So law was not going to chance anything else going to court with this kid.
With all of that said, now brings us to the start of me realizing my husband will do what he thinks is best despite me telling him not to do it.
The neighbors realized that Mr. T had two bench warrants out for him. One being the stair case issue. The tenant below him was done with him living there. So anytime that he heard Mr. T come home he would call the cops. One day he ran past them twice, and then on this day he did the same again. Everyone on our little side of the L were done. We wanted this handled and the cops were not able to do so. I hear my husband after he had ran this last time say, "By the end of tonight he will be behind bar. I promise." I thought that it was just talk on his part or thinking that the cops would get him.
It is about 30min after this proclamation to our neighbors that I had to leave for work. I looked at my husband and told him that his job was to protect our home and our pup, and more importantly himself. Meaning do not get involved. Well, G took what I said and spun it in his mind to be just fine to do what he did next.
When my shift ended at work, I noticed a text from my husband simply stating Mr. T is in jail. Knowing my husband I then asked how did he get there, and the reply was just this: :). I then said out loud to my coworker, my husband is crazy. Yes he did it, he put Mr. T in jail. Here is the story I heard when I got home told from the point of view from my husband.
I was sitting in the living room after everything had happened with Mr. T. Then I heard someone coming up the stairs. I looked out the window to see him coming back home. He was almost to his door, and had his keys out. (Remember that he had a deadbolt on the outside of his screen door.) Him messing with his keys gave me enough time to come outside and wrap him up. He started screaming for help, but no one was going to help him. I told him he had two bench warrants out for his arrest and that he had evaded the police officers more than once, so he was under arrest. He struggled to get free, but he couldn't get away. He tried to use his keys as a weapon, but I was able to get them out of his hands. We went down to the ground and at this time the workers (the ones putting in the new stairs on the opposite side of the building. Thank you HOA for finally doing some maintenance.) came over and asked me how they could help. I told them to grab his legs. They did, and then I yelled at the guy down stairs to call the cops. He did. Then another tenant came out asking if I needed handcuffs. I said yes, so he brought them over to where we were holding him down. I cuffed him, laying face down, with me between his shoulder blades and the others still holding his feet. Mr. T was saying he didn't deserve this and did nothing wrong still screaming for help.
The cops came running over to where we were all sitting very calmly expecting to have a fight on their hands from previous experiences with Mr. T. When they saw him laying there they started laughing, and also saying some not very professional things to Mr. T, but this kid has been a thorn in their side for many months. They got him up, and took him away. The Sargent came over and asked who did this. I told them I did. He started asking me my side of what happened, and then asked about where I worked and my contact information. I told him I worked at the hospital. He asked what I did there, I told him PT. The Sargent then laughed and said I didn't look the part. (G was wearing a tank top, and shorts so his tattoos were fully visible, including the now very appropriate Hulk.)
After hearing this story I just sat there shaking my head saying you are crazy. He laughed and said he knew I would say that. See in his mind he did exactly what I had asked him to do, protect. He not only did that but also took this guy down without harming Mr. T or anyone else. G was a little scrapped from the brick wall we have outside, but nothing more. It pays to be trained on a psychiatric ward in how to do a proper takedown, so you and the person does not get hurt, which G is.
After this event, everyone thought G was an undercover cop or something similar. While living in this shady place made little brighter with one man behind bars, I am perfectly fine letting my neighbors think what they want. I love my husband, and am proud with how he handled the situation, even if it was the exact opposite of what I was really asking him to do.
![]() |
| Brick Rash |

No comments:
Post a Comment