Sunday, January 25, 2009

Latest on Japon


See this is my problem with living in California for most of my life.... the only second language I some-what know is Spanish, so IF I go to Japan I am going to put a Spanish accent on everything.

So I was told by one school that I didn't get a teaching position with them. That was the first school I blogged about. They decided to hirer all within country. Which I understand is cheaper and better for them to meet people face to face. I just wish I didn't have to wait so long to hear back from them. Anyway my recruiter that I first contacted about all of this said he really thought I was a good fit for Japan and had another client that is hiring. So I said yes please send them my information, and honestly this school seems a little more on top of things then the last.

I had a second interview with the Foreign Operation Manager with WinBe . This happened on Thursday and everything went well. It went very well on my end of things, and we talked for over twenty min. I made sure to look up the local time in Japan so I had an idea as to what his day would look like and was able to say Good Morning, when really the sun was down on my end of the line. There was only one question that I thought I might have answered wrong, but who knows how he took it.

The question was, "Do you think you are a good teacher?" And without thinking I said, "Yes I am." I hope it didn't come across too arrogant for him, but that is how I feel. I backed it up with saying something like I am still new enough to the profession not to be burnt out, but experienced enough to know the challenges.

He then went on to explain this is an after school program and I would be working with 6 students at a time for about and hour or more till the next round came. The age range is from preschool up to adults. This sounds wonderful to me and very similar to what I do for Sylvan already, but just double the students. I would put in a full 8hours from 1pm-9pm which if you don't know me is HEAVEN!!! I am not a morning person at all. Plus I am thinking the commute won't be so scary, since it is in the middle of the day. :)

Anyway he told me that he was going to send my information on to the Head of Department, and that I should hear back next week. So I should know by the latest Thursday since that is their Friday. I am still very much a peace with any decision that is made. Yes I think I will be sad not to go and have this experience, or on the flip side slightly terrified to go to a new country. However, I have done everything that I can do at this point and just give it up to God or the fates or whatever to bring me where my next chapter in life takes place.

In the mean time my friends have been very optimistic that this is going to happen for me and I received two wonderful gifts to help me out when I get there or keep me motivated to try try again. The first was a vintage map of Tokyo from my love Steph and the second was a wonderful book from Brently. I have learned from people who have been to Japan that this little cartoon book is very accurate and really would help. But its title is exactly how I am going to be over there.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is awesome Emily! Please let me know as soon as you get an answer. I am excited for you!

The Taylor Family said...

Wow! Good luck girl!