Friday, March 6, 2009

Back to the classroom....

So I find myself in a some what long term sub position for three weeks. I am in an Algebra Readiness class, and a California High School Exit Exam (CAHSEE) prep class. I have been in this class before, and they have had many subs before. Their original teacher from the start of the year gave up on them and quit. Then they had a replacement teacher, and ran her out as well. Currently they are with another long term sub for the rest of the year, but he is having surgery so they are stuck with me.

As far as their behavior goes, there are a few strong headed gals, but I have been and taught in much worse. These students just need a little consistency. Most really want to learn and move on in the Exam or in Math. However, their current teacher (the one I am subbing for) doesn't really know what to do. He is trying his best, but they know they are just given busy work and they are now not trying at all.

And in I walk, with a love for math, and a drive to get them working again. I know I am going to but heads with some of them, and that is fine, but my job is to be there to teach them some math. I am excited to be planning again even if it is more work for the same amount of pay. I really do love teaching math, and wish our government would let my credential span over all subjects and grade levels.

I have already subbed for many of the math teachers here at CHS (I have blogged about this school before.) So they are really stepping up and supporting me in trying to revamp this class. It's only day two, so we will see how I feel on day 10. :)

1 comment:

~ Stacey ~ said...

good luck. I'm sure you will do great and your love for math will help them be more excited.