Friday, August 2, 2013

On the road part 2

Sadly we had to leave the vacation life of St. George, and head even further east toward our new home of Colorado. I don't know why we thought it would be a great idea to leave at 11:30pm and drive through the night, but earlier in the day that sounded wonderful. My husband earned a jewel in his crown in heaven that is for sure. Not only did he drive all the way from SD to St. George, he also drove the whole way from St. George to Denver.

Cash saying Good morning!
We were a little sad that we couldn't see the mountains leaving Utah. But let's be honest, I slept as good as I could in a U-haul truck for the later part of the night. Even though it was dark leaving seeing the sun rise just as we entered CO was beautiful, and a bit poetic for us really starting a new day in our new state. We stopped in Grand Junction to fuel up, get breakfast, and see the sun rise.

Good Morning CO!











Cash didn't enjoy this ride so much. Between the harsh roads meaning loud bangs from the truck, and all of the turns he didn't relax at all. We did stop at this cute little rest stop by a river to try and lower or break his anxiety level. He was fine out of the truck and didn't put up a fight to get back in, but he really didn't like the last push of the trip till we got here. Gary said it was the hardest for him as well. We did get some good shots of Colorado as we went.

At the rest stop.
Finally we were close to our new home and not looking forward to unpacking a truck full of our lives, but really just wanted to get it over with. Then I got the email from our new land lord. He proceeded to tell me that the previous tenant wasn't out yet, and it looked like she wasn't going to be out until the afternoon. Ummmm what? We were told that she would be out by the latest the 31st and now it is the 1st and we have driven all night to get there early enough to unload the truck and get it back, and she isn't out!!!!!!! We were not happy.

Maybe it is me moving a lot through my life, or that I am courteous to others, or  organized (to a point), or know what type of situation I like to be moving into, but I have never took longer than needed to move out. Sadly this is my second time dealing with people moving out as I was trying to move in. And from the first experience I learned this time that we were going to sit and wait, not help, not clean, not bother her, but wait. We waited 2 hours in the heat, in the truck we had just been in for far to long for her to get all of her stuff out. Now I am sure my current landlord would have been there to help the situation had he not been in Tel Aviv. He did stay up with his emails, and has refunded us for the day and for the cleaning costs as well.

Now after waiting we were able to get the keys from her and start our workout of moving in. The place had been wiped down, but not really cleaned, but nothing I could do about it then. Gary and I busted our butts, and he used his skateboard as a dolly to stack boxes and we unloaded the truck in 4 hours. I thought the elevation would get to us since we live on the 3rd floor, but somehow we were fine. We did get a little break when our upstairs neighbor offered us a "pop". (I thought oh no! do I now live in the land of "pop" and not soda? Turns out he is just an old timer so we are good there.)

We did it though! We returned the truck gassed up with 15min to spare before they closed! Now we just have to unpack and organize. :/








Part of the CO river. Where CA gets their water.


In the mountains of our new home state.

No comments: