Saturday, October 25, 2008

All things must come to and end.

And so ends my first sanctuary with Mission. Our last meeting was potluck style, and we ended on such a good note. Since this is a political time our conversation turned to CA attempt to ban Gay Marriage, and how it has been a major religious front (christian) that is pushing to take this right away. It was discussed how much it sucks to be put in a box labeled christian and then people assume that you are crazy conservative people who attend things like "the call". It is sad that this is the stigma that comes with a name, because people like "the call" are doing very radical things in the name of a Lord and Savior I love. I honestly don't believe that their actions are coming from a place of love for others. We decided to write up a little list of things that we do and don't stand for, and want to just put it out there for the world to see, and maybe help to change the name that Christianity has built for itself, as being judgmental and not accepting.

It was also nice to see that others are really hurting from friends and family that are being very aggressive with their view points about this proposition. It is hard to differ from the ones your love, but this prop. is wrong, and I can't sit and just say nothing. Since I have voiced my opinion on this issue (and others) I have never felt so isolated from my family. And maybe it is just me feeling like the demeanor between us has changed, but that is how I feel.

We watched an ad. for this call to prayer that is happening next month, and it was hard to see a friend sit and listen to it, knowing that these thousands of people are doing this to make it so he can't get married. It really sucks to see first hand the cruelty of people towards others, and know that what you say isn't going to change their minds, or their actions. And I feel that most can't put a face to this cause and have dehumanized it to make it easier to rally people up against the gay community.

I am so thankful for my friends in San Diego. They really have become a family for me here, and you guys really are the reason why I am still hanging around this place. I am excited to be leading a new Sanctuary starting next week, and look forward to growing and sharing from some new friends.

Equality for all, Christianity for All.

5 comments:

Nicole and Scott Kesten said...

i don't consider myself extremely political but i have certain things i believe in which also divide my family and me.. my dad is extremely left wing (although a registered republican), and we end up fighting or combating everytime politics or religion comes in the conversation...

personally, and for my sanity, i try to remember and remind him that it is wonderful that we can disagree... it is wonderful that i was able to choose to convert my religion.. and it is wonderful we are able to vote. obviously, some topics are different than others and others are more progressive than others but i am just grateful that we can vote on what we believe. unfortunately, voting causes division b/c you are forced to "choose a side" and most people do but i think it is just great that we live in a country that allows us to do that..

Nicole and Scott Kesten said...

p.s. was i rambling or did that make sense?

Em said...

No you weren't rambling at all. I just feel like I am the enemy now, and yes it is immediate family, but also some extended. I am really trying to do this whole agree to disagree thing, but stuff keeps getting brought up. I hate having to pick sides, but in the end you have to do what is right by you. I love you Nicole and am so happy you are my cousin.

Nicole and Scott Kesten said...

ok, happy i made sense.. and i am sorry this is difficult for you. as you can probably assume, if i were a californian, i would vote yes for the prop. but i completely respect your decision to vote no.. that is your choice, your freedom.. and just remember that.

your parents love you as do we... :)

Emily K. said...

I'm so glad you have some great friends and you have found your place in San Diego. I can see your struggle and hope you don't feel isolated from us. I think we all have a choice and you have that freedom as much as anybody to vote how you want. I am not looking forward to the day this proposition hits Utah (we'll be last I'm sure). I just thought I would shed some light (not that you asked). I have two amazing cousins that I feel fairly close to (not by Taylor standard) who are gay/lesbian. They too have felt outcast. I love them because they are family, because they make me feel good and because they are someone I would choose to be friends with regardless their sexual choice. Same goes for you. If you choose to vote No on Prop.8 that's only your business and NO ONE should make you feel like you aren't excepted because if it. Em, we love you and all that matters is that you are happy, and that you're doing the things you love. I know Stacey feels strongly and she is voicing her opinion out loud, but don't take it personal. I hope no one has said anything to you, because it's not their place to take away your vote or tell you your wrong.
Like Nicole, I hope I'm not rambling, blah, blah, blah. Okay, the end :)