I had the joy of subbing at my favorite High School Friday. This school is well organized, and I am a regular so the students know me. There is this one student that I am always amazed to see how self reliant he is. This is because he is legally blind. I think he can see shadows, but he cannot read text no matter how magnified it is. He has a cane to help him get around, and carries a braille laptop type thing. I was teaching in a Geometry class, and they had book work to do, so I asked him if he wanted me to dictate the problems to him so he could type it out in braille. He told me no, and that he would go and find the book so he could work out of it himself. And off he went and came back with his braille geometry book and got right to work. The other students give him respect, don't make fun of him and really make sure that they aren't making things hard for him, like stay out of his way when he is moving or help him if something is in his path. I sat back and just soaked this all in just thinking Wow!!! He has taken what most see as a hindrance and made it such a small thing, like hair color, it is just a little thing that makes him him. It just makes you think of your own life struggle, and how you really do need to try and make lemonade out of lemons.
On a side note, a shout out needs to be made to CHS for being the most adaptive school I have ever known for a wide range of all students!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment