Sunday, September 7, 2008

Bebe Poetry

I love my Great Aunt Bebe! She loves education and learning just like me if not even more. She always gives the best gifts, which happen to be beautiful pieces of literature. A few years ago she gave me a book of poetry titled "Gifts of Love: A selection of unusual love poetry" I picked this book up just recently and have really enjoyed some of the poems. This one really has spoken to me today, and falls into my mood lately.

Longing

Come to me in my dreams, and then
By day I shall be well again!
For then the night will more than pay
The hopeless longing of the day.

Come, as thou cam'st a thousand times,
A messenger from radiant climes,
And smile on thy new world, and be
As kind to others as to me!

Or, as thou never cam'st in sooth,
Come now, and let me dream it truth;
And part my hair, and kiss my brow,
And say: My love! why sufferest thou?

Come to me in my dreams, and then
By day I shall be well again!
For then the night will more than pay
The hopeless longing of the day.

Matthew Arnold
(1822-1888)

No comments: