Last night I had a discussion with some friends on new terms that I had never heard, let alone, understood. Even though, once I learned the vocab. I realized I was already doing this in a way.
The terms are Spiritual Formation and Spiritual Discipline.
First this is what good ole Wiki had to say about them:
Spiritual Formation is the growth and development of the whole person by an intentional focus on one’s (1) spiritual and interior life, (2) interactions with others in ordinary life, and (3) the spiritual practices
The third I take to also be the definition of Spiritual Disciplines. Some thing you do as a practice/habit to become more centered around God. That could be anything from making sure to get your quiet time with the gospel, steady prayer, seeing God in ordinary things (st. signs) or even just time alone to realize God's love and Grace. To quote Jason Zahariades Spiritual disciplines, "work through indirect effort by allowing us to do what is currently under our control with the hopes of enabling us to do something that is not in our control." Or in my words to do something now that will change you to the point where you act more Christ like, "naturally", when a situation comes around.
At this point and time the question was asked what our personal Spiritual Disciplines were that were allowing us to have a Spiritual Formation. The most common answers had to do with finding time to just sit and be with you. I to find this to be a practice of mine, and I get how people need to recharge with our crazy lives draining so much out of us. But I also found my mind turning to the masses as well. I think I am able to continue my growth in God by looking at all the people around me. Knowing that I am not alone in the struggle of life, and knowing that God knows all of these people around me and loves them for them. We are Gods greatest creation, and that alone is beautiful, and makes me so thankful that I am able to see that. Now I just need to try and make it a daily practice so when I am stuck in traffic and big Hummer man cuts me off with no blinker, I am calm and don't get the urge to give him the angry hands.
So I ask you what is your Spiritual Discipline/Habit that is allowing you to have Spiritual Formation?
2 comments:
yeah! i saw you were my sole follower and so excited to see you have a blog! another way to keep in touch.
ok, to answer your question. something that personally helps me is constantly surrounding myself with people that aren't like me...
Skokie (our city) is highly jewish orthodox with a lot of indian, middle eastern and asian backgrounds. i thrive in diversity and find myself much more openminded, patient, loving and appreciative when i am reminded we are all unique but are all love by Heavenly Father the same.
does that make sense or am i rambling?
No, that makes sense to me. And I agree. I think one of the ways to grow is to step out of your normal box and jump into others, or just look in.
Post a Comment